After fiddling with my Droid X for two days non-stop, I finally figured out how to dissect the latest Motorola superphone. Here we ‘Droid X Dissected‘ and do check all!
Just in case someone needs to replace parts or perhaps the touchscreen in the future, I’ve documented the whole process for your viewing pleasure using my Canon 7D. And yes, still working on my photography skills so please bear with me.
How to Dissect Motorola Droid X?
Before we begin, you will need a Hex X5 screwdriver. (and you will need Hex X4 for touchscreen replacement)
1) First, you will need to take the back cover off, take the battery off, and also take the microSD card out. (although I didn’t on this photo)
2) Next, unscrew the 2 T5 hex screws as shown here with red arrows from your Droid X.
It should look like this.
3) Next, you are going to stick your sharp nails (recommended to grow your nails a bit before dissecting) in between the hard rubber piece and the plastic part of the Droid X at the top. You can also use a plastic wedge if you’d like, I just used my nails because I didn’t have a plastic wedge. Do not use a metal screwdriver here otherwise you will scratch your Droid X! Nails works fine though.
4) Once you can get your nail through, just slide it all the way to the other side, the top part should easily pop off.
5) We are going to do the same thing on the bottom of the phone and pop off the bottom rubber piece.
6) Once you have the rubber top and bottom pieces off, it should like above photo, you should find additional hidden 4 hex screws.
7) Unscrew the 4 hex screws.
Next, look at one of the sides of the battery compartment of the Droid X, you should see there’s two metal thingees holding the Droid X together.
9) Using a minus screwdriver, pop the metal thingees off and the top of your Droid X should pop off a bit.
10) It should look something like this.
11) Next, jiggle the side of the Droid X near where the red camera button is and it should pop off eventually. Don’t force it but keep trying until it pops off. I only used my screwdriver to hold up the phone so I can take a photo but don’t use a screwdriver to pry it off!
12) Once you got the bottom side popped off, start jiggling the other side and it should pop off completely like shown here into two pieces.
If you don’t get steps 11 or 12 right away, don’t force the issue and keep trying. Believe me, it took me about 5 hours on before I was able to figure this out so, take your time!
This is the hardest part of dissecting the Droid X without breaking anything so be patient.
13) The rest of dissecting the Droid X is pretty easy. Start out by popping off the white wire next to the camera. It should pop off easily.
14) Next, we are going to pop off the LCD connection. There’s a flimsy black tape covered over it. Just pop the thing off, it should come off pretty easily.
15) Once you pop the LCD connector off, there’s the touchscreen connector. It’s also covered by a flimsy black (electrical) tape. Pull the tape off a bit first then “gently” pull the touchscreen connector “laterally” away from the phone and it should pop off with the white connection pulling up automatically.
16) Now you should be able to lift up part of the motherboard-like piece, there’s one more connector you can pop off easily as shown by the red circle.
17) Pop that connector off and you should now have 3 pieces of Droid X.
18) Congratulations, you’ve just pretty much dissected your Droid X!
If you want to get to the touchscreen, there’s about 10 more Hex T4 screws you will need to unscrew but that should be pretty much it. I didn’t have a T4 screwdriver so I stopped here.
Actually, I just wanted to see the actual chips inside the Droid X but it seems that I would need to unsolder the metal casings around them. Since I have a review unit I must return to Verizon, I will have to wait on that until I buy a Droid X myself.
For assembly of the Droid X after disassembly, simply follow the directions backwards.
And also, I have videos of me ‘Droid X Dissected‘ step-by-step coming soon (and also putting it together) so watch out for that too!
Some more photos of Droid X dissected!
Do check the video of Droid X Dissected!